Friday, July 9, 2010

30 favorite songs, pre-1960

Since this is a new music blog, I figured my first order of business, was to do some sort of favorite songs list. I'll break the list up into stages of time and do a top 100 of all-time or something later on.

I figured I'd start from the beginning of my musical interest. I am leaving out classical music standards as well as old folk standards such as old Irish tunes. These songs are hard to determine when they were first performed and there is really no release date to speak of. I am a fan of both classic and ethnic standards and might address these types of music in the future.

I'll start with the earliest jazz/blues tunes that I like. This list goes from the beginning until 1959. Since there is a lot of music from early jazz, blues and early rock n' roll I will miss, I encourage leaving songs I might have missed in the comments. I'm always looking for cool music and music discussion. Perhaps my favorite musician is Robert Johnson. The picture below is of my kick-ass Robert Johnson T-shirt. He figures heavily in this first list and I will address his influence on rock n' roll music on a later post.


I chose 30 songs and could have picked many more. 

Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway 1931
Terraplane Blues - Robert Johnson 1936
32-20 Blues - Robert Johnson 1936
Summertime - Billie Holiday 1936
I'm A Steady Rollin Man - Robert Johnson 1937
Love in Vain Blues (Alternate Take) - Robert Johnson 1937
Hell Hound on My Trail - Robert Johnson 1937
Stop Breaking Down Blues - Robert Johnson 1937
Traveling Riverside Blues - Robert Johnson 1937
Rollin Stone - Muddy Waters 1948
Boogie Chillun - John Lee Hooker 1948
Still A Fool - Muddy Waters 1951
You're Cheatin Heart - Hank Williams 1953
Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley 1954
I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man - Muddy Waters 1954
Jailbait - Andre Williams 1954
Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters 1955
Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley 1955
Hound Dog - Elvis Presley 1955
Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley 1956
Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry 1956
Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard 1956
Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis 1957
That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly 1957
Johnny Be Goode - Chuck Berry 1957
Folsum Prison Blues - Johnny Cash 1957
The Girl Can't Help It - Little Richard 1957
Around and Round - Chuck Berry 1958
Carol - Chuck Berry 1958
One Night - Elvis Presley 1958

Again, let me know what you think and if there are any songs I might have missed. This is a new blog, so if you have an idea on a future blogpost, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment